About Me

My photo
Liwa/AbuDhabi, Middle East, United Arab Emirates
My name is Rayan, I feel ok, and i'm in love with you =D

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Killing My Own Master



-->


Even though I've been doing martial arts for over 6 years, I find it hard to question martial arts, and even harder to understand it.  I found myself so deep into training that I forgot to question what is it I' am training with, and why...

It was a sword pattern called "Ichi no ken", a basic duel between two attackers which includes parrying, side steps, and straight blade attacks. The idea was to always maintain position, balance and distance between the two attackers as long as the blades are drawn, to ensure a safe zone for both.

However, during the training sessions, neither was called an "attacker", and to my surprise it was a duel between a "student" and a "master", and the student would always.....always....and always kill the master. There goes that small voice in my mind...."Why is that even necessary?"

It could be a representation of "surpassing" or "carrying on the legacy" by besting the master. Not really as murderous as beheading the master with a blade as practiced.  In other words, it could indicate that the next generation should always surpass the previous one in technicality, knowledge, and wisdom. However, still there is a shaded part with this analysis yet to uncover.

Masters are human beings with egos, and those egos may enforce the feeling of possession, in a way they do not encourage the student to follow other paths than their own.... The student becomes a prisoner of the illusion, that the master is the one and only.....and forever he will be...

But wait!There is a world out there! Full of people with different perspectives of how they see the martial art. I am greatly pleased to be surrounded by humble teachers, who have always encouraged traveling for Aikido without a condition to stick to one way or style.
   
Life is far richer than one man claiming a single righteous path that is absolute, while neglecting the existence of others who may best him.


* This post is based on personal opinion and analysis.





No comments:

Post a Comment