About Me

My photo
Liwa/AbuDhabi, Middle East, United Arab Emirates
My name is Rayan, I feel ok, and i'm in love with you =D

Friday, July 26, 2013

Ramadhan's Journal#16: Only For Those Who Wait

-->
Ramadhan's Journal#16: Only For Those Who Wait


During Fasting:

30/30 (RPM+BP) + TRX Back to Back

After Iftar:

None




"That's It, I'm stopping Aikido Forever"

That's the decision I have made 2 years ago, marching with heavy steps, stiff shoulders, and nerved forehead towards the class to make my final anouncement infront of my teachers. Luckily, they were late, it was only Mukesh over there...The wisest of em three.

"I've had enough of this! I dont wanna do this any more, 4 years of hard work, chasing masters from Japan to Belgium every year, I've killed myself for this, and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not getting any closer to the black belt, I can't see it sensei!"

The truth behind my decision was that there were other clubs who gave black belts to newbies who just been in the art for less than a year. I got furious, I dropped my precious 4 year old white belt, and to my surprise Atif sensei popped in"

I felt embarrased for a moment, speechless till he came in and dropped his bag, and by one look at my face, he recognized an issue. He kept his words till the end of the class, and I had to cover my stupid behavior by getting changed and attending the class....

I've been to the other "so-called" Martial arts clubs, but I always find my self siding with this one, the art here is more authentic, the firmness of the techniques, the precision of the movements are the things which kept me coming back for more.

It was a master-student talk in a dark parking lot behind the training centre, he didn't go hard on his language

“I’ve always given you the choice to visit other clubs, I never tied a rope around your neck and told you to stick with me, as yourself why were you still coming back for more?” he continued, “Go again and compare your movements with their black belt students, and check if your Center is as strong as theirs or not…You will feel the difference Rayan… This club’s path is long and hard, yet rewarding in spirit, its your choice if you want to go cheaper and get an easy black belt…”



I thought I would be luckier if I joined those master who give belts like chocolate frogs but looking back at the adventures Aikido have taken me into, I turned up to be stupid to just think of giving up.

I have trained with former Japanese masters in the heart of the art's head quaters in Japan, I have visited internation seminars in Malaysia and Belgium, and I have also attended a summer camp in Australia where all what we did is sleep and train daily.

Not just that! I have been so lucky to have dinner with world-wide masters as Tony Smibert Shihan, Louis Shihan, Chiko Sugano sensei, and many other top teachers from Britain and Australia.

Its been 6 years now and I'm following the Australian Aikikai system, and I can see a way to the black belt, but it doesnt matter anymore. Black belt or not, does it really matter?!...Aikido is a lifestyle for me and there is always something to tweak and refine mentally and physically.

On my last trip to Belgium, while me and Matt were heading back to the hotel after a late night farewell dinner party with Tony Smibert, I asked him about what would happen If I got my black belt in some other cheap club on my first year of training. He answered that I wouldn't be much exposed to Aikido internationally and meet such amazing people. I'm glad that I waited for this, and I will continue to wait.

He wore his wise hat, and said "Rayan, Good things happen to those who wait"...




No comments:

Post a Comment